Thursday, July 30, 2009

METAL + STORY = WHADDA CONCEPT ALBUM!


Personally, I kinda liked the bubble-gum pop, syrupy sweet, mega-ballads and anthems that came from the hair metal bands of the late 80s. Warrant. Winger. Poison. Totally my cup of Kool-Aid. Ok, I can maybe see the critics’ point of view about the lack of substance.

Of course, Operation: Mindcrime was totally the exception to the “teased up hair, head-banging” rule. Penned by the band Queensryche, Operation: Mindcrime is a dark, political intrigue-ish thriller set to music, with some spoken word. The main plot deals with Nikki, a former heroine addict who gets turned into an assassin by the mysterious Dr. X. Other characters include an evil priest and a prostitute turned nun. Honestly, it’s the opera version of The Manchurian Candidate (without the hooker-nun part).

Overall it’s a great listen. I'd have to say my favorite songs are Revolution Calling and Eyes of a Stranger. Yes, I know those are the 2 "featured" singles they released on the radio.

OPERATION: MINDCRIME BY QUEENSRYCHE. GIVE IT A TRY.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search