Tuesday, September 22, 2009

FYI…MY MOM THINKS I’M A WHORE FOR WEARING TOO MUCH BLUSH!


by Jani Ogglin (NWM Staff Writer)

The incident:

My mom drove 1 ½ hours out of her way to surprisingly take me out to lunch. Even a better treat, she didn’t call first – way too much merriment for one gal to handle. So about 5 minutes into our mother-daughter meal, she reveals the real reason for stopping by. GASP! There’s a reason for her visit? Hot topic for discussion – “You’re father and I are worried you’re not getting out and meeting people!”

Jewish Mother Translation – “when are you going to get married and give us grand children already?!”

Of course this followed, by me reverting back to the classic 16 yr. old, obstinate teen. After about 10 minutes of [professionally murmured] arguments she decided to GO there. Mom, jumps from the “you work way too hard to have a life" speech and without missing a beat, goes right into “how can you catch a man looking like that?” reasoning. More specifically, she focused on my makeup. And yes (as the waiters and water guys were my witnesses), she did say that the amount of blush I use makes me look whore-ish. Internally I was in tears. Externally, I simply smiled and bit into my breadstick, counting the minutes ‘til the visit was over.

A True Self Examination:

As much as we do our ceremonial back and fourth barking at each other, I do love and respect my mother (in controlled 5 minute phone doses). So that night I did look in the mirror, and did a bit of beauty surfing. I came to the conclusion (as much as it pained me) that mom might have a point in the blush department.

On beauty.about.com I did discover that I might be a bit whore-like in my application and the color I choose. Blush is essentially a way to bring out your natural skin color to almost a healthy glow. Add too much and it starts to do just the opposite. Also, the color you choose should be in the same color palette as your skin tone (when flushed). Nothing too contrasty or bright.

Here’s beauty.about.com step by step blush method:

Step 1. Choose a color (based on how it looks when your cheeks are flushed after exercising or being out in the cold).

Step 2. Choose the type of blush (powder, gel or liquid). Powder is better for oily skin.

Step. 3. Apply foundation.

Step 4. Use a professional size blush brush (Mac blush brush No. 116 good recco).

Step 5. Add blush to brush. Not too much. You’re not painting a barn.

Step 6. Look in the mirror and smile to properly apply to the apple of your cheeks.

Step 7. Finish the look with a translucent powder.

Step 8. Repeat every morning or before a Match or jdate.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search