Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WHAT THE DUCK? THE FILM IS 26 YRS YOUNG?

HOWARD THE DUCK (1986): Before the mega-hit Spider, Avengers & Iron-Mans of today, Marvel entertainment truly laid an egg at the box office with Howard The Duck. The feature was based on Marvel’s 70s comic book by Steve Gerber. And believe it or not this was a Lucasfilm production. Yes, I’ll freely admit I sat through the whole thing in the movie theater. Didn’t even sneak out with my friends across the hall to see One Crazy Summer. Honestly, if you get past the redonkulous-ness and take the film for what it is, you’ll definitely get a lot more out of it. Especially when being treated to a young, goofy Tim Robbins and sexy, vivacious Leah Thompson. For the 80s the special effects are decent. The standout visual scenes hands down are in Duckworld and the showdown with the big, mutated baddie in the end. Overall you won’t be disappointed if you prepare for disappointment – if that makes sense. The Howard The Duck special edition DVD is available on Amazon.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

  1. It was certainly an experience. And I had just forgotten about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 26 years? Where does time go???

    ReplyDelete
  3. My god this has unearthed some awful memories especially about how old I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it weird that they don't show Howard in the trailer at all, perhaps it's to hide how poorly animated they believe he is. Honestly with Marvel and Lucas behind the film I have no idea how it flopped so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've actually never seen this, but knowing how old it is makes me feel old. It sounds like "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but it sounds like this came first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen it, but fortunately not in the theater. Even back then my low standards were higher than Howard the Duck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good god I feel old knowing this movie is that old...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i paid to see it in the show... i crushed on lea thompson and well she was in it, in her underwear... making it with a duck. i am not sure if that is okay then or now?

    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    Visit The Madness:
    iZOMBIE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently rewatched this... Then I felt old

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe I should be ashamed, but I love this movie, It's so bad it's good.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search