Friday, August 6, 2010

THOSE WACKY EL SALVADORANS AND THEIR BIG BALLS OF FIRE


WE ARE ONLY A HANDFUL OF WEEKS AWAY BEFORE THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS BEGINS IN EL SALVADOR. And by festival I mean Las Bolas de Fuego. A night where 1000s of young El Salvadorans (with painted faces) run mad through the streets of Nejapa hurling balls of fire at each other. Apparently the locals feel this is an appropriate way to honor the volcanic eruption that occurred in 1917. To be a part of this traditional torch tribute all you need are black face paint, kerosene-soaked balls of rags, a match, and muy thick skin.

CHECK OUT HOW MUCHO, MUCHO, MUCHO CALIENTE IT GETS.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. I agree with whatever the japanese dude said in his comment. HA HA HA.

    Seriously....it kinda scared me that I knew what "Las Bolas de Fuego" meant.....oh wait, it's cuz I speak Portuguese....close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they'd feel different about it if THEIR balls were on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another tradition I had no knowledge of...I really don't know as much as I think do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Flaming Balls Batman! can't believe a country has a tradition of flinging fiery spheres at one another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lance Armstrong said in his autobiog that he and a friend used to hurl flaming rags at each other. But they wore thick gardening gloves for protection...and they were 11 years old.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search