Sunday, October 25, 2009

ANGRY RETIREE OP-ED: PRETZEL STICKS ARE A GATEWAY DRUG.


by Barry S. (NWM Staff Writer)

I see it all the time when I take my daily walk to the corner grocery store for skim milk. Tiny kids sitting in shopping carts, snacking on those mini-pretzel sticks. Some are just chomping away. While others are pretending these snacks are like cigarettes. So there they are, puffing on their imaginary cigs. And 5 years from now I’m sure these same kids are going to be teen-punks smoking like chimneys on the same corner. Smelling up the area. Littering the place with butts. In fact my neighbor (with a PC) confirmed my fears. He said he found some study that did link smoking to playing with candy cigarettes or pretzel sticks as kids. 22% of smokers admitted to it in this survey of 25,887 U.S. adults. Personally, I think parents should think twice before handing their kids any food in stick form like breadsticks, pretzels and of course candy cigarettes. Carrot sticks I’m not so sure.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search