Monday, October 26, 2009

SUCK IT CAPTAIN PLANET.


by Greg Colfaz (NWM Staff Writer)

Hey from Cottonwood, Idaho. So I may or may not have been watching my Captain Planet and the Planeteers Season 1 DVD (drunk) this past weekend. Originally I was trying to settle a bet with my friend to see if it was really Tom Cruise’s voice behind the mighty blue eco-avenger. No dice, but after 5 beers and 3 episodes I did figure out why I hated this show waaay more than He-Man. It was too over-the-top preachy throughout the episodes. At least He-Man waited ‘til the end to tell Orko what he learned from dishing out a can of whoop-ass to Skeletor. This epiphany totally changed my mission. Now, my goal was to find one episode where CP was wrong! Some lesson-to-be-learned or eco-save that didn’t pay out well for the future. I was beginning to think all hope was lost until I stumbled onto episode 8, Rain of Terror. The plot has the Planeteers trying to stop Verminous Skumm from destroying a city with a giant cloud filled with acid rain. Of course, good triumphs over evil and the cloud was destroyed. Though according to a group of scientists at Michigan Technological University's School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science looks like the Captain made the wrong call. It seems that the research concludes that acid rain is actually beneficial for depleted forests. This polluted hot rain (rich with nitrogen) actually improves forest productivity. Meaning it saves the trees from dying out. And last time I checked, that's pretty high on the "Green stuff to accomplish in this century" list. Smooth move Super Cruise.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search