Saturday, October 3, 2009

MEDIEVAL SCIENCE SAVES THE DAY: COMMON COLD CURE


Fall means cold season, at least to me. One day it’s cold. One day it’s hot. All days it does a real number on my body. For the last 2 weeks I’ve been coughing, sneezing, wheezing and stuff has been leaking out of every orifice. Sure I could take Tylenol or antibiotic, but what's the fun in that? I’d rather rely on the gentlemen doctors of yore. To eradicate those nagging cold germs they’d use leaves and stems of a boneset plant (also known as sweating weed, cross wort, fever wort, teasel, ague weed and Indian sage). You can still find it today near streams, marshes and swamps in eastern North America.

Cold Remedy Recipe (from the folks at eHow):

Steep 1 to 2 heaping tsp. of dried boneset in a cup of boiled water for 15 minutes. The tea will taste a little bitter, so add a couple of teaspoons of honey to it. Reheat if necessary, and drink it as hot as you can. Repeat up to once every hour, or two for cold relief.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. I hаve by nο means read of Ribеna, but I'm off to google it now as my youngest is starting to cough...

    Also visit my homepage - pictures strep throat rash kids

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search