Sunday, August 30, 2009

YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE JEWISH TO ORDER A BAGEL WITH LOX.


by Jason Cousler (NWM Staff Writer)

It happens every Sunday. I get up extra early and go for my run. Usually, I jog around the neighborhood. Then on my way back I stop at Pick-A-Bagel on 23rd and 3rd (in NYC). I always order my favorite. Toasted plain bagel with egg salad, and a Yoo Hoo. Today, I felt like something different. I still wanted the bagel, mind you. I just got tired of having the same egg salad taste every time. So I ventured over to the area of the counter where I had NO experience at all. Seasoned fish. First, I saw what I think was sable and creamed herring. Neither which I had really ever heard of. Then the lox caught my eye. I actually had watched an episode of the Nanny where they were at a Briss. That's the thing when they cut off the male baby’s extra skin and have a party. Anyway, they were all eating lox and cream cheese on a bagel. I figured, how bad could it be? So I ordered some lox on an everything bagel with cream cheese. It was a bit more money, but WOW was it worth it. The lox had this salty, salmon caviar type taste. Though it wasn’t over-powering. I guess, ‘cause of the cream cheese. And combined with the garlic and poppy seed, seasoned, crunchy crust – pure heaven. I’d definitely order it again. Later, after some googling, I found that the traditional order includes a slice of tomato and onion. Says the veggies too, really enhances the flavor of the lox. Guess I’ll see next Sunday.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search