Sunday, January 31, 2010

BROOKLYN DIRT IS COOL AND YOU KNOW IT.


At least that’s what I was hoping back in 2006. Unfortunately that would never be the case. My hair-brained schemed all hinged on the images the word BROOKLYN conjured up. A mythical land dripping with machismo and tough guys. Hell, Jay-Z preached about it in half his songs and was making a cool mint. So why couldn’t I cash in on the name too in some way. I bet if I sold something that was straight outta Brookyn it’d be like printing money. Which is how the idea of Brooklyn Dirt Co. was born. I bought 500 jewelry bags and had my wife collect some dirt in front of her parents' apartment (out in Sheepshead Bay). We slapped a label on a prototype. Took a digital pic and immediately posted on ebay. After 2 months of zero hits and bids I officially called it quits. I was so certain this was the one. I just couldn't understand how other B-brands prospered (see blow) while I was stuck holding 500 mini-bags and a clump of NO paydirt.


BROOKLYN BRANDS THAT KICKED MY ASS IN SUCCESS...



BROOKLYN BREWERY: Ranked #20 on the Top 50 Breweries list in 2008. Distributed worldwide.




BROOKLYNYC: Sold in top retail outlets online. A fashion staple of "East Coast" hip-hop artists.




BROOKLYN COLOGNE (BOND NO. 9): Goes for $220 a bottle. A hot seller at high-end boutiques like Saks Fifth Avenue.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jesse, I nominated your for an award. Check it out when you get a chance:

    http://enterthemancave.blogspot.com/2010/01/kick-ass-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S AWESOME!! Thanks. I also think you made a wise decision on the other nominees as well.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search