Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I AM A JEW, AND I LIKE CHRISTIAN ROCK.

Actually had done a post before about my passion for the Christian rockers. I had raved about the sounds of KUTLESS, and yes, Amy Grant’s Heart in Motion album. [Baby, Baby kicks it old school.]

My new favorite band is SKILLET. These guys are truly holy rock & rollers. It’s hard to pin down SKILLET'S sound except to say that it’s a mix of industrial, hard rock, rap, gospel with a splash of symphonic music. Hence the name.

So why is a Jew from Lon Giland so into Christian Rock? 2 reasons: the catchy beat and uplifting messages. True, I won’t be belting out the lyrics during a Passover Seder or Rosh Hashanah services, but in the shower anything goes.


SKILLET INGREDIENTS:
The band from Memphis started in 1996 as a two man group – John Cooper (vocals) and Ken Steorts (guitar). Today John still does the lead vocals. However the group has evolved into quartet with new congregants – Korey Cooper, Ben Kasica and Jen Ledger.


SKILLET RECIPE FOR SUCCESS:

Has sold over 1.6 million albums

Received 2 Grammy gospel award nominations: 2005 & 2007

"Comatose" won rock song of the year at the 2008 GMA Dove Awards

Their tune "Monster " was used as the theme song for a WWE pay-per-view event

Song “Hero" has been used in promos for the MLB and the NFL


SKILLET MIX:

Hero

Monster


Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

  1. Hey - very cool. The hard rock was never totally my thing, but these lyrics are awesome I agree. I get tired of cheating, womanizing, angry lyrics and the like. Christian music offers a much needed alternative and gets you thinking about the positive things and things that are eternal. Very cool stuff. I discovered an artist named B.Reith this year and love his sound. A little rap with some amazingly smooth vocals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First album was the best. Second and third album... meh. They've been pretty solid since. I love "Savior" the song just kicks. My favorite though is "Beautiful Robe." If you haven't listened to that one yet, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not. If a straight dude can belt out "YMCA" in the shower....why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say I have never liked a Christian rock band.

    PS I love knowing a fellow blogger from Lawng Island :-) I still have my accent, but I bet you lost yours - if you ever even had one.

    FourthGradeNothing.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never listened to Christian Rock in my life. But hey anything is worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why the need to label themselves as Christian Rock? It just seems unnecessary. I don't mean to offend Christians but more people would probably listen to them if the word 'Christian' wasn't attached.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search