Tuesday, April 27, 2010

HELP ME CHOOSE MY TRADITIONAL CINCO de MAYO DINNER.


To some, Cinco de Mayo is a day filled with mucho shots and chilly cervezas. I’d be lying if I said most of my 20s and early 30s weren’t spent paying tribute to the surprise 1862 victory of the Mexicans over the French army (and the porcelain Gods later). But to be honest I’ve always preferred to celebrate a different Mayo. One that is smooth, creamy and filled with egg ‘n oily goodness. THICK, RICH MAYONNAISE.


MOMENTS IN TRUE MAYO HISTORY.

1756 – The personal chef of Duke de Richelieu invents mayonnaise.


1905 – First time mayo is sold in the US at Richard Hellmann’s deli in New York.

1912 - Richard and Co. produce the first jar of Hellmann's Blue Ribbon Mayonnaise.


1976 – I had my first tuna/mayo sandwich for lunch (made by mom). I was hooked.

1981 – Made my first pure mayo sandwich when the babysitter had left the room to call her boyfriend.

1990 – Fingered my first mini mayo jar after getting drunk off Jell-O shots at a college party.


MY CINCO de MAYO CELEBRATION.
I celebrate it one way and one way only. I enjoy a sandwich or dish with 5 times the normal amount of mayo. Then I wash it down with a crisp Diet Pepsi®.


TRADITIONAL CINCO de MAYO DISH #1.
For me, a true ceremonial meal has been a Blimpie giant tuna sub with extra mayo. Then at home I usually add some more mayo in a bowl for dipping purposes. However, I have been known to enjoy other festive foods on this day. That is where you come in.


VOTE FOR MY CINCO de MAYO MEAL.
Over the next week and change I will share with you my absolute fave meals from Mayo days past. Your task is simple. On May 4th I WANT YOU to vote for the dish I shall devour. As a reward I will take pictures of my bloated 39 yr. old self (possibly shirtless) enjoying said feast. And to make it really worth your while, I WILL TWEET EVERY BLOG THAT VOTES FOR ME ON THAT DAY. How bitchin’ is that?

Stay tuned and stay full.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

  1. mayo is disgusting but I will play your sick and disgusting game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Blimpie... I know it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayo....almost as good as chocolate. Ok, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining what Cinco de Mayo is. Would you believe I wouldn't even try mayo for years? I was a very fussy eater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever tried making your own mayo? It can be nice cause then you can make flavored mayos.

    Very funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I love Mayo.
    2. My family is distantly related to the owners. They have the same first and last name as my maternal grandpa and uncle. Freaky, right?
    3. Cute pic! :)
    4. Can't wait to vote! Will you vlog it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry something happened to #2 - it was about Blimpie but I was typing too fast and the word didn't come out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, although I am not all that fond of mayo as a condiment in general, I do love me some tuna salad sandwiches with MAYO. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mayo-never really liked it, but mustard...I could eat that for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a huge fan of Mayo but I am game. Starting off strong with a Blimpie Sub. Might be a hard choice to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A shirtless mayo eatin' copyboy you say? I'm down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mayo = Best condiment ever..... Wait a minute! Are people saing that they don't like mayonnaise!?!?!

    By the way, Blimpie is way better than Subway!

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search