Thursday, April 22, 2010

WHEN DID ARBOR DAY BECOME EARTH DAY’S BITCH?


Totally boggles my mind. But hey, like any scientist I simply analyzed the empirical data provided and made an educated hypothesis.


ARBOR DAY
Came on the scene in 1872. It literally had a 100-year head start over Earth Day, which premiered in 1970. AD also has a simple premise. Encouraging folks to plant trees. And lastly, Arbor Day has a primo time slot – the last week in April. One week before Iron-Man 2 comes out.


EARTH DAY
Began as a movement started by Wisconsin senator Gaylord Nelson. His orignal idea was to simply educate people on conservation issues. The first holiday had 20 million people (mostly college kids) across the U.S. preaching about environmentalism and getting high. Of course now ED has billions of people involved. And it even has an entire week. Country leaders make speeches. There are Earth Day conferences planned at really nice hotels. Parades. Fairs. And U2 caps off the week with a huge all out musical extravaganza.

Winner:
EARTH DAY. No contest!!!

Why?
Arbor Day suffers from being too niche a holiday, Tree Hugging. E-day covers the entire GREEN spectrum. PLUS, Earth Day also does a better job in the marketing department and is endorsed by BONO.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

  1. I have been faithful to Arbor Day since I first heard about it when I was 11 or 12. :] I have a tree being planted this year too!

    I like the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know what Arbor day was before today.

    Bad marketing Arbor day. Obviously you're not getting commercials into the sitcom timeslots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my mom's birthday. That trumps earth day. I'd like to see earth make the universes's best kringle. What's that earth? I thought so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cartoon and post title is freakin’ hilarious! I don’t know what else to say…wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! This is so awesome. Poor Arbor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never gave a crap, but I'm kinda green in general so whatevz for an official Earth Day. We must be mindful of waste and all that every single day, not just once a year.

    And ya know what, everyone gets a day. Moms, Dads, Grandparents, Baby Jesus ... when is it going to be "Chubby Blond Girl Day" or "Corey Feldman Fan Day"? Huh? For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. when you wrote ED, I thought of Erectile Disfunction and not Earth Day....lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pfffft. Earth day discriminates against all the other planets. Whatever happened to Venus Day? Jupiter Day? Hello?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Arbor Day needs is a good ad agency, flashy website, a commercial that makes people cry. Maybe get involved in a social media presence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They should be combined, made a national holiday, and we should get the day off from work to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search