Tuesday, March 23, 2010

VOTE NO FOR WORD VERIFICATION ON BLOGS.

Sorry blogosphere, but I can’t let this severe injustice go on a minute longer.

I get the need for verification security. I really do. I mean the last thing we need are those pesky SPAM bots busting into banking sites or friending freaks on Facebook. What I object to is the overuse of Word Verification. Especially when it’s totally NOT necessary. The top of the list for me is commenting on blogs. Do we really need to have this guard in place? What are we protecting? Sure, you open yourself up to a spammer saying something about a penis enlarger. Big deal, that’s what that trash icon is there for. By removing that annoying WV step you make it easier for people. Hence, you get more post comments. And isn't that what we're all after (aside from followers). People also won’t get a chance to second-guess their original genius, cool thoughts and self edit. It's win, win as far as I'm concerned.

So go to your settings RIGHT NOW and check NO THANK YOU to THE MAN (see below)!! If we ban together we can send a message to those bureaucrat, fat cats on capitol hill…or at the very least, the security IT guy at google.

God Bless.





Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

  1. I agree with you…I think. Imma be brave and try it - what's the worst thing that can happen, right? *looks pensive*

    Hang-on, I was just gonna post the above comment, but you've still got YOUR word verification switched on…c'mon brah…naw, naw, naw!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely agree!

    i've had mine off for months and i do get spam... but not that much.
    also, i've found to still have comment moderation on posts older than two weeks--that way i can stay on top of those bots and erase their comments.

    now...hoping...your wv has been turned off....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know mine was on! I hate it when those bastards come up. Sorry to all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. speaking of bastards!!!!!
    You got me!
    I should have seen it coming...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got rid of mine awhile ago but I still won't let Anonymous post, he's so not invited!

    You do realize you have word verification turned on, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, before I got on my soapbox i should've shut it off. Good catch. I'm pretty sure it's off now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I may have to set up a link to this post from my site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding me? I love Captcha! The randomness it comes up with is some of the most perverse fun to be had. I've found myself typing out swear words and lewd suggestions.

    However I've been thinking of taking it off anyway to make it easier for people. Cause after all, I'm lazy, so why shouldn't I show that courtesy to others?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is mine off now? I'd hate to still look like a hypocrite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never activated the word verification on my blog, for the very reason outlined: encouraging comments.

    The spam is annoying as heck, but it appears on older posts and I can delete it pretty handily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post sounds like someone else's, that I used to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good point but what if someone is inebriated or going to be a jerk!!? It gives them a second to rethink before they press send...or maybe not!? Since I put this on my blog I've stopped getting spam too, more importantly...
    http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good point. I think I'll get rid of my word verification and see what happens. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will jump on the ban wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YEAH! At last someone tells me how to switch the damn thing off. I like commenting but when there's all the extra performance to do so, I just don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh, so true. I got rid of mine a while ago. Hate it. I just delete spam comments. I did turn on approve comments a while ago but then turned it off--that's one way, aside from word verification, to moderate comments. But since we have the ability to just delete, I figure that's easiest.

    Thanks for the blog comment earlier--yours is really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ditched mine last summer yet still get the same amount of spam comments. F it! I salute those who have ditched it b/c sometimes it's a real pain in the ass. The only positive side is when you get some unintentionally funny words.

    ReplyDelete

 
Custom Search